When I saw whoopie pies being baked on a TV show the other week, I just KNEW I had to try them for myself. They’re the most gorgeous gooey sandwich of chocolate cake and marshmallow. So, here’s how I made them:
- 250g plain flour.
- 1 teaspoon of bicarbonate of soda.
- 1/4 teaspoon of salt.
- 5 tablespoons of cocoa.
- 200g of caster sugar.
- 1 egg.
- 125ml vegetable oil.
- 1 teaspoon of vanilla extract.
- 180ml of milk.
- A bag of marshmallows.
- Preheat your oven to 180C/Gas Mark 4.
- Grease the baking trays. (Or use a Yorkshire pudding tray, like I did.)
- Sift together the flour, bicarbonate of soda, salt, cocoa and sugar.
- In a separate bowl stir together the egg, oil, vanilla extract and milk until well blended. Gradually stir in the dry ingredients from the other bowl.
- Pop tablespoonfuls of the mixture onto the baking trays.
- Bake for 10 to 12 minutes in the preheated oven, until firm.
- Remove from the oven and transfer half of the discs onto a cooling rack. Leave the other half in the baking tray and place a marshmallow on top.
- Put them back into the oven for 2-5 minutes, until the marshmallows have melted.
- Sandwich them together and let them cool.
- Enjoy! (And try not to get crumbs all over yourself like I did…) [/pipdig_padded_text]
Have you tried these before?