WELL, hello there!
It’s me again! (Little-Miss-Had-Yet-Another-Unintentional-Break-From-Blogging-For-The-Past-Couple-of-Weeks-But-Here-I-Come-With-A-Load-of-Excuses-Even-Though-You-Probably-Never-Noticed-And-Don’t-Care-Anyway!)
It’s been a while, hasn’t it? Firstly, please ignore the completely irrelevant pictures – I’ve not really had much chance to use my camera lately!
Yes, I’ve had a little break. It was entirely unintentional, but highly needed, clearly. Pretty much every technological device I own had broken, which ended up being the perfect excuse not to blog, but let’s not deny that I was getting a little bit jaded and disillusioned with blogging anyway.
With no computer, it’s been a bit hard to blog lately. My desktop was in for repair (getting a new hard drive if you’re interested – I know you’re not…) and I’ve gone and broken my MacBook too, would you believe? (Choked on some water and spluttered a few drops – literally about 3 drops – onto the keyboard and despite my best efforts, it won’t even turn on now… in case you were interested – again, I know you’re not.)
So, I feel a bit out of practice. Blogging, wise. Social media, wise. Just everything Internet-related, wise to be honest. It’s almost been a month since I last published a blog post, and while I’ve kept my toes into the blogging pool by writing posts by hand in a notepad (as if we’re in the 18th Century or something) it’s not quite the same as typing your words into a keyboard knowing that people are going to be reading them at the end of it.
It’s been nice to have had a break. But, I’m kicking myself at falling massively behind on my shiny colour-coded Excel-based editorial calendar. I wanted to create a few gift guides, which I haven’t had the chance to do (without a computer and without Photoshop too) so it’ll probably just be a last-minute offering from me this year. I wanted to do a few little Christmas Market photo diaries, but again, that hasn’t happened. (As you know, I only ventured up to Manchester’s Markets the other week for a quick wander, and that’s it so far.)
Despite panicking at the lack of festive content from yours truly, I did definitely need that break. It just so happened that it took every technological device I own breaking all at once to be the catalyst for pushing me into taking a step back.
Anyway, let’s focus on the positives from here on in, shall we?
Some good things:
- Music to my ears – I got a new Bluetooth speaker a couple of weeks back. (It was only £30 from Argos – It’s by Bush, but way cheaper than the Marshall one I had my eye on, and still pretty and retro-looking too! Expect to see it popping up in the background of lots of blog photos in the future!)
- New toy – I got a new phone the weekend before last! The iPhone XR, if you’re actually interested! It’s so big that I’m hoping it’s too bulky for muggers to steal…
- Time out – As I’ve mentioned, I’ve had a well-needed break from blogging over the last few weeks. (I’ll write a bit more on this soon!)
- Prints – I decided to get some photos printed. Square ones from Photobox and 6×4 prints from FreePrints. It’s always lovely to see your snaps in the flesh, isn’t it?
- Honey Sweet – I saw Blossoms again last Wednesday at Rock City! Would’ve been better if some people in the crowd had behaved a bit better*, though. You can see Tom Ogden and Nottingham’s festive rendition of Last Christmas by Wham on the right. (*By the way, when did I start sounding like such a Granny?)
- Getting my iMac fixed – And for free, because the Apple Store accidentally broke another part while they were fixing it, meaning the bill almost trebled, so they decided to charge me nothing at all! (An early Merry Christmas to me, from Apple!)
- Aldi – don’t scoff – they’ve had some fantastic makeup dupes since last Thursday, and perfumes too, which I’ll be talking about in detail over the next few days! (We’re talking Chanel, Benefit, Charlotte Tilbury and NARS – all high-quality imitations that won’t break the bank.)
- The WordPress Classic Editor plugin… If you’re a fellow blogger, you’ll probably have been pushed over to Gutenberg this week with the recent WP 5.0 update. I CANNOT cope with the new editor, it actually hurts my poor brain just to look at it, so this plugin is a lifesaver if you’re like me and want to dig your heels in as much as possible! (Apologies if you’re not a blogger and have absolutely no idea what I’m going on about…)
- Festive films – Love, Actually being on Netflix again. Enough said.
- Christmas shopping – I’ve nearly done all mine. (It’s the most prepared I’ve been in about seven years!) This year’s got to be the first where I’ve done nearly all of it online too. I’ve picked up some lovely bits from Etsy shops like Cardinky, OhNoRachio and OhSquirrel!
- Getting back on the ‘Gram – After three weeks away, I finally got myself back on Instagram courtesy of my new brick of a phone, and posted a few Stories and just the one grid photo… But it’s progress. (You can find me here, if you’re interested!)
- Tea-rific! – Twinings Lemon & Ginger tea. Admittedly, it’s an odd one to add to the list, but there’s something about this lovely, warming brew that makes me feel so much better – especially if I’m under the weather. (It gets an honourable mention in this post because I’ve somehow supped over 40 cups full of the stuff in under a month… I think it’s becoming an addiction.)