Well, hello there!
Katie writes this blog. She’s a twentysomething from Derbyshire. She has a writing degree and then trained up as a Broadcast Journalist. She also hates talking about herself in the third person.
Welcome to Katie Writes! I’ll level with you, I’m really not very good at selling myself like you’re supposed to on these about page things… So, here are a few facts about this blog and me:
- I started this blog back in 2013, but chickened out of publishing anything until June 2014.
- Initially, this blog was solely a beauty blog, but after a couple of months a few lifestyle posts started creeping in
and then it gradually become even more varied and got completely out of hand…
- I have a dog called Cookie. He’s a Jack Russell. You’ll see him dotted about in photos here and there.
- I drive a car called Clive.
- I like:
- trips to the theatre,
- wandering aimlessly with my camera around my neck,
- adventures in the countryside,
- good grammar and spelling,
- kind people,
- blogging while my radio murmurs away at the end of my desk,
- curling up with a good book and a steaming mug of tea,
- reading other people’s blogs,
- cosy nights in with candles and fairy lights,
- dogs (well, all animals, really),
- halcyon Summer evenings where the sun never seems to go down,
- music (my tastes are quite eclectic, shall we say?),
- nature (especially plants that are resistant to my touch of death and are hard to kill off – Prickly Mary the cactus who lives on my desk being a perfect example of this),
- old sitcoms from the 80s and 90s (don’t mock this granny, okay?),
- hoovering (no, really),
- film photography (when I don’t mess it up and cover the lens with my pinky),
- and lists.
- I dislike:
- judgemental people, being in a rush (which I invariably always am),
- heated political discussions on social media,
- social media in general (if we’re being honest),
- bad drivers – especially bullies,
- poor grammar and spelling,
- bigotry of any form,
- people who pride themselves on being unkind,
- those who tar all bloggers with the same brush,
- plus those who tar all journalists with the same brush (I can’t even get into my own voicemails, let alone anyone else’s),
- the terms ‘content creator’ and ‘influencer’,
- that daft blogging hierarchy,
- feeling like I’ve let people down (quite a regular occurrence),
- baths that aren’t just the right temperature (nightmare),
- radio DJs who talk over the start or end of songs,
- long, cold, dark evenings,
- fair-weather friends,
- and problem skin.
- In 2013, I graduated with a Joint Honours degree in Writing and Drama – because I’m oh-so academically gifted… After a few years away, I then went on to study for a PGDip in Broadcast Journalism, because I’m also a glutton for punishment, apparently.
- You might’ve noticed that I’ve got quite a self-deprecating writing style. If you haven’t already, you’ll definitely see it now. You can’t miss it. (If it’s not your cup of tea, you might want to scarper now. It’s everywhere.)
- Some of my favourite hobbies include: blogging, photography, reading, and various other things that I’m not really very good at. (See, told you that you can’t miss it.)
- In 2016, I started another blog. After a recent re-brand, it’s called Derbyshire Delights. (And you can find it here, if you’re feeling extra nosy.)
So, probably might’ve noticed that I’m not like your bog-standard ‘influencer’ – I mean, I’m hardly best placed to tell you how to live your life when I’m quite the hot mess. (Well, I’m actually more of a lukewarm catastrophe, if we’re being honest.)
If you’re looking for aspirational content, and guidance on how to be some kind of Goddess that oozes perfection, I’m afraid you’ve most definitely come to the wrong place.
I’m a rambling lukewarm catastrophe with a penchant for panicking and getting flustered about absolutely everything, and for some reason, that doesn’t make me the best of role models. I hope you perhaps might be able to relate somehow, though? That’s why I’ve been doing this for the past five years.
This blog is by me, for you – I guess if you put a gun to my head and asked me to define it (please don’t do that) it’s a mish-mash of posts for people who’re meandering and floundering their way through adulthood and trying not to mess up too badly. Just like me.